My guiding philosophies are that:
- parents parent with the best of intentions.
- there are many "right ways" that can lead to desired results.
- we need to change things up - our communication, our reactions, our approaches - to yield different results or outcomes.
- when something bothers us we must examine our role in changing it.
- we parent better when we can anticipate likely challenges and think through the role we would like to have.
- while we want our children to succeed we know, deep down, the dangers of denying our children important developmental opportunities to move toward greater independence.